GET THE CLASSIC SOUND OF AN MS-20
MS-20 is a collection of vintage Korg MS-20 samples and Ableton Live Presets. Get the sounds of a classic vintage synthesizer in your productions.
- Ableton Live 9.7+
- Ableton Live Intro, Standard, Suite
- Please note that some of the presets use FX which are not available in Live Lite.
The Korg MS-20 is an absolute classic, of that there is no doubt. It is a semi-modular mono-synth that has been used by countless artists from Aphex Twin to Daft Punk and is famed for its fat, warm sound.
I had the opportunity to sample a particularly old model that had probably seen better days but had character oozing out of every jack plug. I sampled each oscillator with all the settings fully open (full sustain, filters open, etc.) to capture the raw sound of the oscillators. Each waveform was sampled multiple times to capture the erratic nature of the synth and the pulse waveform was sampled 5 times to capture various stages of the pulse width. In total there are 125 samples.
I'll be the first to admit that this is not the most comprehensive sampling of an MS-20 out there and there are even some pretty good VST emulations, like the official one from Korg. But heck, this particular MS-20 has so much character! And if you're an Ableton Live user it also comes with a handful of really cool presets too.
The samples used in MS-20 are available to download for FREE. Click here and enter '0' in the price field to download the samples for free.
WHAT'S IN THE DOWNLOAD
- You can either download the samples only, for use in any DAW or the samples plus the Ableton Live Presets to quickly get started using the sounds in Ableton Live.
- There is a Readme file included to help you get setup quickly.
- The Presets include 1 Basic MS-20 preset for you to tweak as you please and create your own sounds, 5 Basses, 2 Leads, 6 Pads, 7 Percussion Modules and 2 Other presets.
(c) 2017, Thomas Glendinning
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Got a question? Maybe you're just enjoying using MS-20 and want to say something about it? Please leave a comment below with your thoughts 👇🏻 I'd love to hear from you.